Monday, October 11, 2010

Vulnerable

"Our efforts to protect ourselves lead us to seek relationships that do not draw us out, that require little, but don't rattle us so we can keep our bearings." --Catherine Malotky, Lutheran Women Today, Oct. 2010 pg. 42

I've never been one to be very vulnerable in my friendships.  I wish I was.  I think I put minimum effort into my friendships -- I like them to be easy and to fit into my schedule.

I imagine what rich, deep friendships are like . . . satisfying, intense, bold and gentle.

I'm not sure I have the energy -- or the will -- to throw myself into rich, deep friendships.  I'm sure the effort is worth it.  I'm sure the beauty spills out of the doors and pours through the windows.

But I keep it safe and keep my distance.

Vulnerability is not my strong suit.

"Human vulnerability is the source of communion in the Kingdom that God desires for us."  --Linda Johnson Seyenkulo and Jensen Seyendulo, Lutheran Women Today, Oct. 2010 pg. 30


The gift of friendship is just that . . . a gift -- precious, fulfilling, life-giving.

Definitely not easy . . . but probably so worth the effort.

Vulnerability -- yet another thing for me to work on . . .

 . . . in my spare time.

No comments:

Post a Comment