Thursday, October 7, 2010

Choose Life

"Listen carefully.  I'm giving you a choice: life or death."  --Jeremiah 21:8, The Message


I watch my two boys jump and giggle and play -- clad in pajamas and joyful from a full night's sleep. I lie sleepily in bed, with a genuine smile on my face . . . perfectly content to have two boys climbing, clamoring, and poking me.  When I see them, I see life.

Maybe it's impossible for small children to choose anything but life.

But what about us?  In our daily choices . . . our everyday moments . . . do we choose life or death?

For me, choosing life is choosing to forgive . . . choosing to serve . . . stretching my arms out to receive God's goodness.

It is about continuing this experiment -- letting God direct my day instead of my many to-do lists.  It's about listening for the whisper . . . perceiving the nudge . . . to take a morning walk or an afternoon nap or write a few thank you notes or play a silly game or work on a baby book or sweep the floor.

Perhaps the nudge will lead me to something unexpected . . . something unplanned . . . something I didn't give as much importance to . . .

. . . but something beautiful.

To Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment