Saturday, October 16, 2010

The Gift

Oswald Chamber's My Utmost for His Highest is my daily breakfast companion (along with my two cereal eating boys).   The bits of wisdom are always thought provoking and usually stick with me the whole day . . . sometimes much longer.  Here's an excerpt from today:

"We are taken up with active work . . . and waste our Lord's time in over-energized activities . . . No Christian has a special work to do.  A Christian is called to be Jesus Christ's own, one who is not above his Master, one who does not dictate to Jesus Christ what he intends to do."  --Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest, Oct. 16

If a family member or dear friend . . . or maybe even a mere acquaintance . . . had a crises, would I be able to drop everything and serve them?  Or would I be too focused on my own active/over-energized/special work that I'd say, "Sorry.  I have more important things to do."

What we do with our time and energy seems to boil down to our choices -- what we choose to do at any given moment of the day.  Should I do the dishes or take a nap?  Check my email or read a book to my boys?  Work on a project for church or work on getting baby's room ready?  Should I take a walk or make dinner?  They are all valid choices -- ways to care for myself or my family or my work.  But when we make those choices, we put ourselves in charge.

I am nearing the end of Jeremiah.  It's been quite a book -- lots of doom and gloom for a people who won't listen and obey God.  There are also moments of hope and promise, but the doom and gloom is an important message too.

"I, God, say so, and it will be so." --Jeremiah 49:5ish, The Message 

God says to us:

I am in Charge.

Of. It. All.

What a gift to be able to let go of those constant choices.  What a gift to be able to say, "Lord, should I take a nap or take a walk?"  What a gift to drop our "important" tasks to be able to help someone in crisis.

Or maybe just to sit and chat over a steaming vanilla latte.  (Decaf, of course).

It is a gift that God is in charge.  It is a gift that He is the King.

Of.

It.

All.

No comments:

Post a Comment