Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Dream

I have this old-fashioned dream that I wish I could be a part of . . .

back when churches were the social centers of a community.

I imagine having this tight-knit group of friends who gather every month for circle, or even a weekly Bible study.  We'd see each other at all the church potlucks and functions.  We'd chat when dropping our children off for Sunday school and after worship.  We'd quilt or organize service projects together.  We'd have coffee at each other's homes.  Our children would grow up together -- be in Christmas programs and choirs together.

We would be bound, not just by common interests or our stage of life, but by our faith.


Hmmmm . . .

Wait a second . . .

Even as I type this, I realize I have more of this than I think I do.


I have a weekly Bible study with a group of four other women who always bring new insight into the scriptures.  I have moms to chat with before Sunday school and after worship.  I have families and couples to sit with at church potlucks.  I have a wonderful group of women who gather every month for Deborah Circle.  I have a friend who works on Sunday school with me.  My boys have children their age to learn and play with . . . and sing in the Christmas program.  I have my MOPS group full of other moms to laugh and chat with.

Maybe my reality is closer to my dream than I realize.

Maybe instead of a vision of perfection, I need to embrace the beautiful imperfection I've been gifted with.

What joy . . .

. . . to live in the midst of a Beautiful Mess . . .

. . . to live in this dream I am a part of.

No comments:

Post a Comment