Sunday, October 24, 2010

Church Family

If you don't know, having a church family is an awesome experience.

This morning I walked through the double glass doors to a whole crowd of people welcoming me, shaking my hand, giving hugs, and asking . . .

"You're still here!?!"

Today is my due date.



And yes, I'm still here.

What a gift to have a whole congregation thinking of me, praying for me and loving me.

I've been blessed enough to always have a church family to call home (sometimes more than one!)

I grew up running the halls and eating potlucks at Gideon Lutheran.  That's where I first played the piano in front of a group of people and helped lead music.  I lost one of my teeth in the boys' bathroom (well, my brother yanked it out while my parents were setting up communion on a Saturday).  I passed notes (and shoes) underneath the table during confirmation class, and stayed up late laughing with friends at lock-ins.  I tasted wine for the first time and hated it.  I sang in Christmas programs, learned in Sunday school, and found out the fireside room was the best hiding spot for hide-and-seek.

When I went off to college, I knew I needed a church home and found it at First Lutheran.  Eventually I started volunteering with kids and ended up as their Youth Director for six years after graduating from college.

Now, at Immanuel, I'm one of the "moms".  My kids run through the narthex, narrowly missing shuffled footsteps while cramming cookies in their mouths.  My boys are in the Christmas programs and coloring Jesus pictures in Sunday school.  My four year old sings the liturgy at home in the living room.   I stand in the narthex talking with others while my kids "patiently" wait.  (That's the other thing I remember about growing up . . . we were always the last to leave.  I still am.)

Yup.  Being part of a church family is pretty much an awesome experience.

Oh, don't doubt that there are bumps and wrinkles in the journey.  It's a family for goodness sakes!  There is conflict and odd opinions and hurt feelings and misunderstandings.  But isn't that a part of all families?  Especially when your family reunions are every week and over 100 of you show up every time.

But it's worth it.

Just think:  when I go into labor (any day now . . .) I will have a whole flock of people praying for me and our little babe.  I will be surrounded by a whole cloud of witnesses.  And the next Sunday when I show up with a tiny bundle of pink, there will be joy.  Amazing.

Granted, being part of a church family doesn't just happen on its own.  You have to show up.  You have to be present.  You have to take the time to talk and get to know those around you.  You have to sign up and participate.  You have to show up for potlucks and be willing to sit by someone you don't know.  You have to help on church clean-up days or volunteer to fold bulletins or be part of a small group or Bible study.  Of course, you're still part of the family if you don't do any of these things -- but you're like a distant relative -- some people recognize your face and maybe know your name.  Maybe.

But to really be a part of a family . . . . it's obvious, isn't it?  You have to be part of the family.

And suddenly you realize . . .

you are part of a gift.

2 comments:

  1. Awww, that is the building I was raised in, worshiped in, grew spiritually in, met my husband in, volunteered in, got married in, was employed in (very briefly) and had one of my babies baptized in. Thanks for the pic!

    I can't wait to see your tiny pink bundle! Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete