Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Let Me Be Enough For You

If you ever get a chance to do an Augsburg Fortress "Book of Faith" Bible study, you should jump in with both feet.

Totally.

The studies are always amazingly insightful -- I walk away with new thoughts, images and revelations each time.

Right now we're in the book of Genesis.  We've already done Exodus and 1 John.



Today we explored the story of God asking Abraham to sacrifice his son Isaac. (Genesis 22)

Yikes.  What a story.

It was as if Abraham was thinking, "I don't know what God is doing, but I know God knows what he's doing."

100% trust.

In Martin Luther's Lectures on Genesis he supposes Abraham is thinking, "I am reducing my son to ashes.  Nevertheless, he is not dying.  Indeed, these ashes will be my heir."

Abraham knew God could do anything -- even restore life through death.  He knew God could do the impossible -- the unimaginable.

He knew that the promise would be fulfilled.

And so today, in our lives, we have hope.  We can trust unconditionally.  We don't have to be in charge.

In Genesis
We are reminded . . .  that God's promise will be fulfilled -- even if we aren't willing or able.
We are reminded . . . that the story (our story) is always about God, not about us . . . because the story of life is impossible.  It could never be because of us.
We are reminded . . . that if we put our trust in anything other than God, we are not living as if God is God.
We are reminded . . . that our God will lead us home.
We are reminded . . . that there is hope because of one person (first Noah, Abraham, and finally Jesus).
We are reminded . . . that we have a God that gets sad.  He mourns with us in this beautiful mess.
We are reminded . . . to let God be God.

Today in my life I hear God saying,
"You won't get everything done before your daughter is born . . . but you will get enough done."

"So Relax."

"Take my lead."

"And let the rest go."

"Let Me be enough for you."

And I nod my head.

Yes God, you are enough.  You're all I need.

And I relax, cradled in the Creator's hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment