Saturday, April 7, 2012

Heightened Drama

I love the drama of Holy Week.

I love being part of a church tradition that uses colors and bells and sights and sounds and smells.

Holy Week is the epitome of the drama.

Authentic palm branches waving high, rich purples, deep reds, the gleam of communion ware, the smell of wine wafting, seven black taper candles unlit one by one, a gong, lights dimming, lights out, the slam of the words, "Crucify Him!" being growled out.

And then the overpowering scent of Easter lilies, gleaming gold and pristine white, trumpets blasting, joyful shouting, "Alleluia!"


I like to dress the part of Holy Week too.  Well, I like to dress according to liturgical season all year long.  I've been wearing purple and purple and purple the last few weeks.  I like to wear purple on Sundays -- along with a deep red or lighter purple scarf.  I like to wear purple on Preschool Chapel days -- because I love teaching them about our "purple days".  Last night I wore head to toe black.  Well, except for my magenta shoes, which is a given.

And tomorrow is Easter.  I am contemplating wearing a mega-bright, hurt-your-eyes Poppy dress.  It's excruciatingly wonderful!  I'd pair it with a deep pink cardigan.  Like a bouquet of delight.

I'm not sure if I should do it.  It's pretty loud and I don't want it to be louder than the choir anthem I'm helping to sing tomorrow.

But maybe I must wear it.  Because tomorrow is The Joyful Day.  And what better way to celebrate than to wear Joy all over.

Alleluia.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment