Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Come

The thing about working in a church is . . . sometimes you don't get anything done.  I have piles and piles and lists upon lists of things that need my attention.  Things I need to do and things I have to do and things I'd like to do and things I hope to do . . .

And I can walk across the grass, step inside my front door and put down my bag full of things I didn't even touch.

Because something (or should I say someone) more important walked through the door.

More often than not, my mornings at church are spent in conversation.

Now, conversation doesn't seem to answer emails or plan Vacation Bible School or prepare high school youth group . . .  doesn't seem to at first . . .

But when you really get down to it -- conversation -- relationship -- is the most important part of my job.


Today I had the privilege to hear part of a life journey story.  It was awesome.  And I look forward to the book he will someday pen.

But my favorite part is when he tied it to faith --

He described his journey as walking across a sea -- on stepping stones.  And at every juncture, when he looked out, there was just wild open sea, but suddenly, when he looked down, there was the next stepping stone.

                                     Out of nowhere.

So he took the step. . .  

                      . . . and he waits for the next stone.

What a beautiful picture of faith.


It reminds me of Peter -- stark naked on a boat in the middle of a storm.  Peter says, "Lord, if it is you" (and not a ghost like they first thought), "command me to come to you on the water."

Command me to step out into the chaos.

And Jesus says, "Come."

So Peter got out of the boat, started walking on the water, and came toward Jesus.  But when he noticed the strong wind, he became frightened, and beginning to sink, he cried out, "Lord, save me!"


Jesus immediately reached out his hand and caught him, saying to him, "You of little faith, why did you doubt?"


When they got into the boat, the wind ceased.  And those in the boat worshiped him, saying "Truly you are the Son of God."
                                                              --Matthew 14:28-33




We peep over the side of our boat and see

                chaos

                            darkness

          destruction

                                        hopelessness

                                                            despair

                                               the great ugliness of it all


And Jesus says, "Come"


Come.


"Take heart, it is I;


                       do not be afraid."



Come.



3 comments:

  1. "But when you really get down to it -- conversation -- relationship -- is the most important part of my job."
    Excellent point...
    And much appreciated by all, I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really, it's probably the most important part of life . . . being in relationship -- loving and serving others. So good for me to remember that on a daily basis!

      Delete
  2. I just realized a mistake -- Peter wasn't stark naked in this story . . . he was naked in the "Come and have breakfast" one. My bad.

    ReplyDelete