Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Therapy

So yeah.

Therapy.

All I can say is:  Wow.

Seriously.

I should have done this years ago.

My world is breaking open in ways I've never anticipated or imagined.  It is incredible.

Let's see . . . I've been going to therapy (correctly called psychotherapy, which is even better!  You know, official and all that) for sixteen weeks.

I'm learning fountains and fountains about myself.  It keeps gushing up.  And I keep being amazed.

I mean, not every therapy session is stellar.  There are some days that I leave thinking, "Wait.  I didn't even get to talk about what I wanted to talk about."

But some days blow my mind.

I guess you have to have the mediocre days to make the blow-your-mind days even more powerful.

Ok.  So here's the bottom line:  I recommend psychotherapy to anyone and everyone.

One caveat: you've got to have a good psychotherapist.  We've talked about this --my therapist and I -- the subject came up.  Some therapists can be pretty passive . . . they listen and nod their head.  Some can be compliant . . . they agree with everything you say.  And then there's the tough ones -- the ones that push you -- the ones that won't take any crap -- the ones who say, "Why are you talking about that?  What's the real issue?" -- the ones who say, "What are those tears about?" -- the ones who speak Truth to you, even if it's not so pretty.  That's the kind of therapist I have.  It's pretty awesome.  "You probably don't like me very much right now," he said once.  Hmmm.  I can take it.  I need it.

Oh man, I've learned so much about myself.  Diving into my people-pleasing tendencies, my inability to say "no", my fear of not being accepted, my fear of "What will they think?!",  my inability to make decisions, allowing myself to get sucked into black holes, putting work and ministry ahead of my sweet kiddos, perfectionism, my identity, the masks I wear, the impenetrable walls I've built around myself, my fear of being Real and Vulnerable and open and honest, my fear of displeasing people, my fear of disappointing people, and the biggest one (the one that blew my mind and broke light into my world): my piles.

My Piles.

But more on those later.


Psychotherapy:

Try it.

You may like what you discover about yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment