Monday, March 19, 2012

Real

With the arrival of child number three, motherhood got Real.

Like the tag line on MTV's first season of The Real World
         "When people stop being polite and start getting real . . . "
(which I watched in Jr. High.  1992.  I just looked it up.)


Things changed.

      Drastically.

          They had to.

It was a dawning motherhood moment for me . . . it got real good, real hard, real . . . well . . . Real.


Things that changed with child number three:

  • We didn't fit into our Audi sedan.  (Hello mini-van)
  • I couldn't throw all my children in a stroller and go for a jog.
  • I had to start making schedules -- lots of them.
  • My children went to bed at a decent hour.
  • We stopped watching Thursday night television.  Well, we (adults) stopped watching television altogether.
  • We actually ate meals at regularly scheduled times.  I cooked!
  • We could get out of the house by 8:30 am.  
  • I actually started cleaning the house on a weekly basis.  Even dusting!  (thanks to my good friend, Schyalee)
  • I understand why people with three young children don't worship on a regular basis.  It's hard work!  Exhausting!  (We still do it -- it's just a circus.)
  • I started using timers all the time -- to keep us on schedule . . . and to keep the laundry rolling.
  • #3 is actually on a predictable nap schedule.
  • Letting them "cry it out" is no longer a choice, it's a fact of life.
  • Play dates and Library Story time happen constantly . . . right here in my own house.  No need for outside entertainment.


I wouldn't trade this for the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment