Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Outside

I like when people remind me to think outside of myself.

Because it's so easy not to.

Here I am
       in my own little tight circle
                     of children
                            and church
                                  and home
                                        and whatnot

and I forget



that there are people who are huddled outside trying to keep their children warm through the night
and people with empty bellies
and people suffering from depression or extreme loneliness or tortured by mental illnesses
and people torn apart from their families
and children who are not wanted . . . and they know it
and people who are broken
                               almost beyond repair.

But it's never beyond repair

Because there's Jesus.

And there's my hands and feet --
                                      called to love and serve the broken --
                called to be a mirror, reflecting the light and love of Christ --
        called to move
                         and act
                              and do

and not just sit here and write about it.


And that's where the challenge begins.


1 comment: