Monday, August 24, 2009

The Gospel of Potty


The adventure has begun . . .

Today marks day four of potty training extravaganza.

When Blazer went into his room naked, slammed the door shut, and came out wearing a diaper, I knew it was time to pull the plug.

Very ingenious, my son. Time to get down to business.

The moment I heard that first "tinkle" after two hours of temper tantrums and one hour of sitting on the side of the tub while Blazer leaned limply onto my lap . . . I knew I was in the midst of one of my proudest mommy moments ever.

I was blessed with a real and physical moment of the essence of parenthood: teaching our children independence . . . teaching them how to fly on their own.


A movie reel flashed before my eyes and I realized my job as mom is to teach my children to become adults. It will happen quickly. In less time than I can imagine, I will be watching my son throw his graduation cap into the air. He will be able to dress himself, feed himself, go to the bathroom by himself . . . and hopefully a myriad of other 18 year old abilities.

I hope I raise him to be faithful, compassionate, kind, sensitive, and caring. I hope he will want to serve others; I hope he will treat others as he wishes to be treated. I hope he has many adventures, the opportunity to love deeply, play abundantly, trust fully, and live with great abandon.

Parenthood is amazing, isn't it?

All this from a tinkle in the toilet.

And a small tear in my eye.


1 comment:

  1. The world would be a better place if your hopes for your boys were shared by all parents and those influence children... guess that is all of us.

    Cooper is coming along on the toilet training.
    But he has a strong will like his dad which is a blessing but also a challenge.

    Good luck to us all!

    ReplyDelete