Friday, December 6, 2013

The Singular Always Inconvenient Invitation

"I would hate to think of my teacher suddenly appearing before me, extending that singular but always inconvenient invitation, and hearing myself offer the knee-jerk response, 'I'm sorry, that doesn't work for me.'" -- Cynthia Bourgeault

A poem.  Based on Logion 64 from the Gospel of Thomas and Cynthia Bourgeault's commentary.


The Singular Always Inconvenient Invitation

It comes at the worst possible time...

right when I've figured everything out.

Of course.

So…

do I silence the call?

Or take the jump?



Come, Lord Jesus.



Jesus says,

A man was having guests, and
when he had prepared the dinner,
he sent out his servant to call them.
He went to the first and said,
"My master calls you."
He replied, "I have some funds
for some merchants who are
coming to me this evening.
I beg to be excused from dinner."

He went to another saying,
"My master has invited you."
He said to him,
"I have bought a house which
requires a day of my time.
I am too busy to come."

He came to another and said to him,
"My master calls you."
He said to him,
"My friend is getting married,
and I am cooking the wedding dinner.
I ask you to excuse me."

He went to another one and said,
"My master calls you."
This one replied, "I have bought a farm,
and I am on my way to pay taxes.
I cannot come. Please excuse me."

The servant went back to his master and said,
"Those you invited to dinner
have all excused themselves."
The master said to the servant,
"Go outside onto the roads. Seize them there,
and bring them here to eat.
Those busy buying and selling
cannot get into my Father's realm."
(Logion 64)

No comments:

Post a Comment