Friday, August 8, 2014

Leaf Flutterings

Sometimes it seems we need to turn over a new leaf.

Fluttering leaves captured by my mom.

To start over -- to begin again -- to start fresh and clean and new.

But no matter how many leaves we try to turn or twist or bend or toss...

                         ... we are still the same person.

Really.


We can change how we live

     We can change the choices and decisions we make

           We can change our language or our style
                                                             or the way we saunter across a room


But we are the same "me" after the leaf turn as we were before.


A person could lose 160 pounds....

      they could go through a massive change in how they think and
                                                                                 act and view the world...


            and they would still be the same beautiful mess of molecules that they were before.


In a good way.


I debated whether I should start a brand new blog.  One that wasn't full of former thoughts and musings.  One that wasn't who I was before.

But I still am the me I was before.

And that's life.

We can change -- even drastically -- but we can't get rid of our past.


And I wouldn't want to.

My past makes me who I am.


So instead of turning over a new leaf...

               I am pondering the flutterings of the many leaves of me.


     I see them

                blowing in the wind

                            catching the sunlight as they dance and wave

                                                                                                   and change.

A newness

           -- maybe not fresh and clean --

                                     but catching the light in beautiful and new ways.


A fluttering

              in my heart

                           to journey on.

No comments:

Post a Comment