Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The Trinity

I like this picture of the Trinity.



At first it kind-of turned me off.  The picture was quite small on a page of my book and it looked like God the Father was tolerating (at best) holding his son . . .  rolling his eyes as if Jesus was a bit too smelly or dramatic.

But in this enlarged, lightened version, I see no sense of eye-rolling or exasperation. . . which greatly improved my opinion of this painting.  I'm sure seeing it in real life is amazing.

I came across this picture in September and it hasn't left me yet.  I think about it all the time.  I love the image that God, sitting on God's throne, is this grouping: Father, Son and Holy Spirit, all cozy and making a complete picture of love . . . of sacrifice.

A trio of oneness.  A family.  The fullness of God.

On a throne.

Being love.


I like it.


The Trinity (Father, Son and Holy Ghost as a dove).  Left wing of a triptych.  Robert Campin (1378-1444).

No comments:

Post a Comment